Update to staticred.net main site.

If you came to staticred.net today and noticed there's been a change, you're right! I decided I wanted a central clearinghouse of my social networking, blogging, photo sharing, etc sites that I could point people to and sort of aggregate all the information in one place.

I originally tried using Tumbler to aggregate feeds from various places, and used Tumblr's RSS feed to populate the page on staticred.net. As it turns out, that wasn't the best way to go about it, for a couple of reasons. First, Tumblr didn't work exactly the way I wanted it to work with the Twitter feed -- it didn't direct people back to my Twitter page. Second, Tumblr only updated its imported feeds once an hour, which was driving me crazy to test. I ended up replacing this setup with Yahoo Pipes.

The Pipe grabs various RSS feeds and combines and sorts them into one master feed that I can then display on the main staticred.net page. This works much better and lets me easily do some regexp against some of the feeds. For example, I replace the staticred: in my Twitter RSS with a linked "darren" and a twitter icon. It also updates relatively live, which saved my sanity while testing. The page on staticred will only check against the RSS feed ever 5 minutes or so, caching the feed the rest of the time. I don't get enough traffic on the site to really cause problems.

The script on the staticred.net side of things is pretty straightforward and makes use of the Magpie RSS library. I won't reproduce it here, since it's so simple, but if you're really interested drop me an email and I'll send you the source.

If you prefer the old blog, have no fear - you can get to it via the links at the bottom of the page, or by clicking here.